PLEASE IGNORE THE “.” BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS…I’M HAVING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES
I received a few awards over the last month, but with the holidays, FringeKid’s birthday, and the New Year, I just delayed passing them around. Now it’s time to get back to business.
I think it’s really special to have received these awards. It’s nice to know people, however few or many you are, enjoy my blog. I appreciate your giving me these little pats on the back and a spotlight on your home turf.
This first award is from Mamma Belle over at The Bayou Belles and Their Beau
. When I first looked at the award I thought it said Honest Crap. Although I think “Honest Crap” is fitting for the domestic fringe, it’s really Honest Scrap. I’m still trying to figure it out. My brain is a little lethargic today; it’s snowing.
RULES: Tell 10 honest things about yourself, Nominate 7 brilliant people for this award
10 HONEST THINGS? I give you honest things everyday. I’m not sure you why you’d want more, but here goes…more crap or scrap…whatever.
1. While in college, I got hired by a company to go door to door selling knives. That job lasted for one day. It took my father that long to figure out what I was doing and forbid me to return to work. He made me call and quit in his presence. I was crushed. I was actually excited about this job and was determined to arm each household in New York with a new set of sharp knives.
2. I have stood around Wal-Mart all day in a hair net giving out cheese samples for $10 an hour. Obviously, I have no shame. I enjoyed this job because I had some of the most interesting conversations with complete strangers.
3. I worked for New York State in a Nuclear Power Plant. This was my first “real” job…post college job that actually paid well and had vacation and sick time. Because of this, we don’t need to use lights in our house. I glow.
4. I once lost my car in a snow drift. I guess I’m lucky. It could have been a child.
5. Somebody spit in my hair while I climbed to the crown of the Statue of Liberty. Seagulls pooping on your head may be good luck, but people spitting in your hair is not.
6. I was once stuck in an elevator in The Empire State Building. I no longer recommend taking the elevator.
7. While in flight, my airplane hit a flock of birds and needed to make an emergency landing. It destroyed the engine and we needed a new plane.
8. I once failed a written psychological test needed for employment (at the Nuclear Power Plant), but was later deemed sane by their psychologist. It must have been a mistake…the test part, not the sanity part.
9. I have a fear of fire and heights. I’d need sedatives if I were in a burning airplane.
10. I didn’t know what a subdivision was until I went to college. That’s what happens when you live in the city. You have neighborhoods, streets, and projects, but no subdivisions.
Whew! I made it to ten. It’s tough to think under all that pressure.
I’M GOING TO BREAK THE RULES A LITTLE BIT…shhhh, don’t tell the bloggy police. I’m going to list some great blogs at the end of this post. I hope you’ll check them out.
This award is given to bloggers who write about real life. Janna from Something She Wrote
awarded me this honor. You should read her blog. She’s a real writer and a good one too. I write about real life because I’m not savvy enough to make stuff up. I think I’m just stuck being real. I’m not aware of any rules for this award, so I’ll spare you any more of my life’s details.
This lemonade award is from Straight Shooter. I’m not sure if I’ve received this because I can turn lemons into lemonade, or if it’s because I’m so sour I should add some sugar to my blog. Either way, I love lemonade. A lemonade stand was my first job. It also makes me think of summer and I do miss summer. Thank you Straight Shooter for thinking of me.
I now bestow the honor of these awards to following blogs:
* Kelly Ferreira Photography – her pictures are brilliant. Go see the picture of my niece on her header. It’s SO CUTE!
* Derfwad Manor – her brilliance is revealed in her creativity.
* The Cherry Blossom Girl – she’s got great style. Her brilliance is reflected in the simplicity of her person.
* Woman in a Window – I know I’ve mentioned her before, but you really must go read her blog. Her brilliance is evident in her words.
* Sara’s Art House – We can see Sara’s brilliance in her art.
* The Texas Woman – Her brilliance spattered through each chapter of her online novel Shuffle. Go read it!
* Primitques ‘n Poetry – Mindy brilliantly works with all things old and abandoned. She turns these cast-offs into lovely treasures. I enjoy her pictures and her sweet spirit.
The Marie Antionette Award
* Life In The Parsonage – She makes real life fun and interesting.
* My Messy, Thrilling Life – In this blog, sweetness shines through real life struggles.
* Dust Bunny Hostage – I’ve only recently discovered this blog, but I’m enjoying it.
The Lemonade Award
* Portugal Bound – Since my father lives in Portugal and Nina is living in Portugal, we’ve got a common connection. I’ve enjoyed getting to know her these last months. Nina is one of those people who can definitely turn a batch of lemons into a refreshing sweet drink.
* No Whining Allowed – The name of her blog says it all.
There’s lots of good reading in these blogs, so put your feet up, relax, and enjoy!