Welcome to The Domestic Fringe. This October marks the 25th anniversary of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and on this special day, my bloggaversary, we are celebrating women around the world. Party in Pink is a tribute to those we know and love who have fought the battle with breast cancer or who are currently in the fight. Please join me celebrating their bravery, determination, strength, and faith. Applaud their will to live and celebrate their life at Party in Pink.
You may link your specific Party in Pink blog post by listing it on the Mr. Linky box located at the end of this post. Each blog post linked will be available to read long after today. I encourage you all to visit the other blogs listed and offer a word of encouragement. I thank you all for participating! If you don’t have a blog and would like to join the party, send out an update on facebook, tweet your message, or simply send a card to a friend. Use your favorite means of communication to show a little love today.
Almost everyone knows someone with breast cancer and for so many, it’s someone close to our homes and hearts. The American Cancer Society’s current statistics say that one in every eight women will get breast cancer in her lifetime. Fortunately with the right care and support, the majority of these women will beat their disease the join the 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the United States. That’s quite the club!
My Aunt Pat and Aunt Maria are both lifetime members of that club. They fought hard, long, and well and they won their battle. They were determined in mind, encouraged in spirit, and strong in body. Today I congratulate them on their victory and pray that if I ever face the same diagnosis, I will be as brave as they were and fight just as hard.
Let’s all remember to go to those regularly scheduled doctor’s appointments that we always make excuses to cancel and perform some of those self-evaluations we all hate. Here are a few simple changes you can incorporate into your life to help lower your risk for breast cancer. See BREASTCANCER.ORG for more information.
1. Stop Smoking – you do realize they’re not just talking about those cookies you keep burning in your oven, don’t you?
2. Get More Exercise – Walk to the nearest sporting goods store and buy a pedometer! Just don’t return it three times like me.
3. Maintain a Healthy Weight – Step away from the doughnuts. Oh, ya, that’s me, not you…sorry.
4. Limit exposure to estrogen – Those blasted hormones get us every time!
5. Limit alcohol consumption – In other words, send the kids to camp. Just kidding.
6. Restrict hormone laden red meat and animal fat – That means buy organic for carnivores like myself.
7. Have kids when you’re young rather than when you are old – Hopefully they’re not working on my children’s definition of old.
8. Educate yourself on good nutrition – Don’t read the cooking section of my blog.
9. Eat fruits & vegetables – I almost didn’t marry because of this.
10. Relax – Ladies, this is your permission to take a break and enjoy your life a little.
Today I am especially honoring The Texas Woman, a fellow blogger, and Diane, a real-life friend. These women are just beginning their journey and are on the road to joining the other 2.5 million beast cancer survivors in our country. They are strong, brave, and are an encouragement to those of us watching their fight. I pray that God gives them peace in their hearts, strength to face each new challenge, and encouragement to get through their hard days. These women are a great example and blessing to me.
If you need a laugh today, read Swingin in the Breeze, but don’t laugh too loudly, it could be you!
Here’s the link to the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer .
Add your link now! Click on Mister Linky and follow the simple instructions. Be sure to post your specific URL.
Thank you to everybody for visiting the domestic fringe and Party in Pink! It’s been a great year blogging.
Remember, we may not be able to avoid getting breast cancer, but we can avoid being defeated by it.
P.S. Here’s a great T-Shirt...couldn’t resist.